Church of St Dyfrig and St Samson, Grangetown, Cardiff, Glamorgan

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Place OS Grid Ref: ST1774

Church (Anglican)
1911 by F J Veall of Cardiff, but only a small part of what was intended - a section of what would have been the nave. The dedication was extended in 1969 to commemorate the church of St Dyfrig, a most interesting work by J D Sedding, begun in 1888 on the site of an earlier (1872) mission church. St Dyfrig's had been completed in two stages, 1893 and 1904 (after Sedding's death)by his partner Henry Wilson. The church was demolished in 1969 - thus obliterating Cardiff's premier 'Arts & Crafts' church - but fortunately many of Sedding and Wilson's fittings were saved, and moved to St Mary's, Butetown and here to St Samson's.

Artworks at this site:
  The Adoration of the Magi The Adoration of the Magi
artist: Henry Wilson
1904
Church of St Dyfrig and St Samson, Grangetown, Cardiff
east wall
  Angel Candleholder Angel Candleholder
Church of St Dyfrig and St Samson, Grangetown, Cardiff
altar table, sanctuary
  The Risen Christ The Risen Christ
1950
Church of St Dyfrig and St Samson, Grangetown, Cardiff
niche in the south wall
  St Joseph St Joseph
Church of St Dyfrig and St Samson, Grangetown, Cardiff
niche in the south wall
  Stations of the Cross Stations of the Cross
Church of St Dyfrig and St Samson, Grangetown, Cardiff
south, west and north walls
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
1950
Church of St Dyfrig and St Samson, Grangetown, Cardiff
northwest corner of the church
  Crucifixion Crucifixion
artist: Frank Roper
1970s
Church of St Dyfrig and St Samson, Grangetown, Cardiff
churchyard



Other sites at Grangetown, Cardiff, Glamorgan
Church of St Paul





Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017