Church of the Holy Trinity, Pont-ar-gothi, Carmarthenshire

Diocese of St Davids

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SN50982261

Church (Anglican)

Begun in 1865, but not dedicated until 1878, the church was designed by Benjamin Bucknall, who employed his friend Alfred Stansell to paint the murals. Restoration in 2006 uncovered a further signature near the roof, Rawlins, Taunton, who was presumably an assistant to Stansell.

Church website

view on the National Monuments Record (COFLEIN)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Search for further information about Church of the Holy Trinity, Pont-ar-gothi, Carmarthenshire on Google


People associated with this site
   as patron: Henry James and Magaret Bath (family)
   as architect: Benjamin Bucknall


Artworks at this site:
  Scenes from the Bible Scenes from the Bible
patron: Henry James and Magaret Bath (family)
artist: Alfred Stansell
about 1865-1878
Church of the Holy Trinity, Pont-ar-gothi, Carmarthenshire
  Christ in Majesty with Scenes from the Gospels and Donors Christ in Majesty with Scenes from the Gospels and Donors
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
patron: Henry James and Magaret Bath (family)
about 1870
Church of the Holy Trinity, Pont-ar-gothi, Carmarthenshire
west wall
  Crucifixion, Resurrection and Ascension Crucifixion, Resurrection and Ascension
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
patron: Henry James and Magaret Bath (family)
about 1870
Church of the Holy Trinity, Pont-ar-gothi, Carmarthenshire
east wall of chancel
  Prophets and Evangelists Prophets and Evangelists
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
patron: Henry James and Magaret Bath (family)
about 1870
Church of the Holy Trinity, Pont-ar-gothi, Carmarthenshire
nave
  Agnus Dei Agnus Dei
artist: Alfred Stansell
about 1870
Church of the Holy Trinity, Pont-ar-gothi, Carmarthenshire
chancel arch
  Scenes from the Gospels Scenes from the Gospels
about 1865-1870
Church of the Holy Trinity, Pont-ar-gothi, Carmarthenshire
chancel
  Angels Angels
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
about 1870
Church of the Holy Trinity, Pont-ar-gothi, Carmarthenshire
chancel


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2018 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2018