Church of St Nicholas, Montgomery, Powys

formerly in: Montgomeryshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Place OS Grid Ref: SO2296
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Church (Anglican)
Thirteenth century. Tower demolished 1816 and replaced. Restored 1878 by G. E. Street, and again 1969-70 by Anthony Catwin, at cost of over £10000, including new chancel ceiling. Screen fifteenth century. South transept roof seventeenth century.

Artworks at this site:
  The Adoration of the Shepherds and the Magi The Adoration of the Shepherds and the Magi
designer: Charles Hean
artist: G. L. Maerchant
1902
Church of St Nicholas, Montgomery, Powys
west wall of the nave
  Christ Carrying the Cross Christ Carrying the Cross
Church of St Nicholas, Montgomery, Powys
west wall of the nave
  Receiving the Crown of Life Receiving the Crown of Life
firm/studio: William Morris & Co (Westminster)
1926
Church of St Nicholas, Montgomery, Powys
south wall of the nave
  Apostles and Evangelists Apostles and Evangelists
designer: George Edmund Street
Church of St Nicholas, Montgomery, Powys
nave
  The Ascension and the Crucifixion The Ascension and the Crucifixion
firm/studio: Thomas Baillie
1859
Church of St Nicholas, Montgomery, Powys
east wall of the chancel
  Prophets and Evangelists Prophets and Evangelists
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
Church of St Nicholas, Montgomery, Powys
east wall of the chancel


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017