St Woolos Cathedral, Newport

formerly in: Monmouthshire


Diocese of Monmouth     (formerly: Llandaff)

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: ST30908760

St Woolos Cathedral, Newport _MG_0757.jpg Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image


Cathedral (Anglican)

Church reputedly located on the site of cell of St Gwynllyw, locally known as Woolos. The church was given to Gloucester Abbey in late 1093, who rebuilt the church in around 1140. St Mary's Chapel (west or Galilee chapel) was rebuilt in the thirteenth century and altered 1818. Aisles rebuilt in the fifteenth century, along with west tower. The upper stages of the tower were built by Humphrey, Earl of Stafford and Jasper Tudor, Duke of Bedford. The church was restored in 1853 by W.G. & E. Habershon. The church was raised to Cathedral status 1949, having been the pro-cathedral of the Monmouth diocese since 1921. The chancel was extended by A.D.R. Caroe 1960-4, when the John Piper window was added.

At the time of this reordering, Victorian memorial glass was removed from the chancel and has been lost, and it was presumably at this time that decorative borders were removed from extant Victorian windows.

view on the National Monuments Record (COFLEIN)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Search for further information about St Woolos Cathedral, Newport on Google


Artworks at this site:
  A Light to Lighten the Gentiles A Light to Lighten the Gentiles
firm/studio: John Hardman & Co.
about 1881
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
east wall of the south aisle
Star of David
artist: Arthur Giardelli
1983
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
south wall of the south aisle (St Luke's Chapel)
  East Window and Reredos East Window and Reredos
designer: John Piper
artist: Patrick Reyntiens
1963
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
east wall of the chancel
  The Parable of the Good Samaritan The Parable of the Good Samaritan
firm/studio: John Hardman & Co.
1875
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
south wall of the south aisle
  Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers
firm/studio: John Hardman & Co.
1892
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
west wall of north aisle
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
artist: Reg Beach
1990
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
south wall of Galilee Chapel
  The Virgin Mary The Virgin Mary
artist: Leonard Matthews
1925
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
south wall of Galilee Chapel
  St Anne St Anne
firm/studio: Wm. Pearce & E. Cutler
1928
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
south wall of St Mary's Chapel
  St Elizabeth St Elizabeth
firm/studio: Wm. Pearce & E. Cutler
1928
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
south wall of St Mary's Chapel
Christ with the Doctors in the Temple
firm/studio: S. Belham & Co.
1891
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
south aisle


St Woolos Cathedral, Newport height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2020 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2020