Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport, Monmouthshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: ST326884
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Built 1859-60 by Prichard and Seddon of Llandaff. Tower completed 1911 by John Coates Carter. The church suffered bomb damage in 1941, and after severe damage in a subsequent fire the interior was reconstructed 1951-52.

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Pollard Seddon
   as architect: John Prichard


Artworks at this site:
  Ascension with the Four Evangelists Ascension with the Four Evangelists
designer: John Pollard Seddon
firm/studio: Chance Brothers & Co.
1865
Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport
east wall of the chancel
  Musical Angels Musical Angels
about 1950-1960
Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport
east wall of the chancel
  Cross with Various Subjects Cross with Various Subjects
2002
Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport
north wall
  Scenes from the Life of St John the Evangelist Scenes from the Life of St John the Evangelist
firm/studio: Samuel Evans
about 1873
Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport
east wall of the south aisle
  Eagle, the Symbol of St John the Evangelist Eagle, the Symbol of St John the Evangelist
about 1950-1960
Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport
reader's desk
  Eagle, the Symbol of St John the Evangelist Eagle, the Symbol of St John the Evangelist
about 1950-1960
Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport
reader's desk
The Risen Christ Appearing to St Mary Magdalene
firm/studio: Heaton, Butler & Bayne
about 1930
Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport
unknown


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport, Monmouthshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales



Other images of this site
_MG_0756.jpg



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2014 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2014