Church of St Mary, Llanfair Kilgeddin, Monmouthshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO355086

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Medieval. Reconstructed 1873-76 by J.D. Sedding under the patronage of the rector, the Revd W.J. Coussmaker Lindsay. Sgraffito work 1888 by Heywood Sumner. Closed 1982 and now vested with the Friends of Friendless Churches. Repaired 1986-8 by Brian Morton. Sgraffito panels restored in memory of Roy, Lord Jenkins of Hillhead.

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Dando Sedding


Artworks at this site:
  The Benedicite The Benedicite
artist: Heywood Sumner
1888
Church of St Mary, Llanfair Kilgeddin, Monmouthshire
  The Writers of the New Testament The Writers of the New Testament
artist: Heywood Sumner
1888
Church of St Mary, Llanfair Kilgeddin, Monmouthshire
chancel
  Christ in Majesty Christ in Majesty
firm/studio: James Powell & Sons
artist: Heywood Sumner
1888
Church of St Mary, Llanfair Kilgeddin, Monmouthshire
chancel arch
  The Four Evangelists The Four Evangelists
1875
Church of St Mary, Llanfair Kilgeddin, Monmouthshire
south wall of the nave
  Cross Cross
Church of St Mary, Llanfair Kilgeddin, Monmouthshire
chancel screen
  The Crucifixion    from    Churchyard Cross The Crucifixion
from Churchyard Cross

designer: John Dando Sedding
about 1875
Church of St Mary, Llanfair Kilgeddin, Monmouthshire
churchyard
  Nativity with the Adoration of the Shepherds and the Magi Nativity with the Adoration of the Shepherds and the Magi
artist: John J. Jennings
1894
Church of St Mary, Llanfair Kilgeddin, Monmouthshire
east wall of the sanctuary
  The Visitation with Simeon and Anna The Visitation with Simeon and Anna
artist: John J. Jennings
about 1910
Church of St Mary, Llanfair Kilgeddin, Monmouthshire
south wall of the chancel


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Mary, Llanfair Kilgeddin, Monmouthshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017