Church of St Mary, Hay-on-Wye, Powys

formerly in: Brecknockshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO225421

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Founded in the early twelfth century. The church was rebuilt in 1833 on the initiative of the curate, the Revd Humphrey Allen. Only the tower remains from the medieval church. The chancel was extended in 1867. The pulpit was erected by Dr R. F. Trumper in memory of his wife.

Church website

Artworks at this site:
  Christ with the Four Evangelists Christ with the Four Evangelists
1879
Church of St Mary, Hay-on-Wye, Powys
south side of the nave
  Scenes from the Passion of Christ Scenes from the Passion of Christ
about 1870
Church of St Mary, Hay-on-Wye, Powys
sanctuary apse
  Abraham Abraham
artist: Arthur J. Dix
1906
Church of St Mary, Hay-on-Wye, Powys
south wall of the nave, adjacent to pulpit
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
about 1950
Church of St Mary, Hay-on-Wye, Powys
north wall of the nave


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Mary, Hay-on-Wye, Powys height=

Photo © Martin Crampin



Other images of this site
_MG_7914.jpg



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017