Church of St Peter, Dixton, Monmouthshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO519135
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Church (Anglican)
Church here by the eighth century. Some eleventh century work in nave. Mainly thirteenth century. Restored 1861-62 by J. Prichard & J.P. Seddon. Although in Monmouthshire, the parish straddles the diocesan border and at the disestablishment of the Church in Wales in 1920 the parishioners elected to remain in the Church of England, so the church is in the diocese of Hereford.

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Pollard Seddon
   as architect: John Prichard


Artworks at this site:
  Christ Raising the Daughter of Jairus and the Son of the Widow of Nain Christ Raising the Daughter of Jairus and the Son of the Widow of Nain
designer: John Pollard Seddon
firm/studio: Lavers & Barraud
1862
Church of St Peter, Dixton, Monmouthshire
south wall of the nave
  Agnus Dei Adored by St Mary Magdalene and St Tadioc  Agnus Dei Adored by St Mary Magdalene and St Tadioc
Designer: Francis Stephens
1954
Church of St Peter, Dixton, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  The Sermon on the Mount The Sermon on the Mount
firm/studio: Ward & Hughes
about 1871
Church of St Peter, Dixton, Monmouthshire
south wall of the nave
  The Martyrdom of St Peter The Martyrdom of St Peter
Church of St Peter, Dixton, Monmouthshire
north porch
  Christ the Light of the World    from    Christ the Light of the World with St Peter and St James Christ the Light of the World
from Christ the Light of the World with St Peter and St James

Church of St Peter, Dixton, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  St Michael St Michael
Church of St Peter, Dixton, Monmouthshire
south wall of the sanctuary
  The Calling of St Peter and St Andrew The Calling of St Peter and St Andrew
Church of St Peter, Dixton, Monmouthshire
north wall of the sanctuary


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017