Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly

formerly in: Monmouthshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO166003
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Medieval church with an unusual plan of two naves divided by an arcade, which is of the early thirteenth century and probably the oldest part of the church. The naves were restored 1858-9 by W.G. & E. Habershon. The chancel was reconstructed 1903-05 by G.E. Halliday, and the vestry was added in 1909-10 by E.P. Warren.

People associated with this site
   as architect: G. E. Halliday
   as architect: E. P. Warren


Artworks at this site:
  The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
1910
Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly
east wall of the chancel
  Dorcas Dorcas
artist: A. J. Davies
about 1925
Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly
south wall of the sanctuary
  Faith, Hope and Charity Faith, Hope and Charity
firm/studio: J. Wippell & Co. Ltd
1917
Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly
north wall of the north aisle
  The Crucifixion with Soldiers The Crucifixion with Soldiers
firm/studio: J. Wippell & Co. Ltd
1916
Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly
north wall of the north nave
  St Michael with St David and St Senan St Michael with St David and St Senan
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1896
Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly
west wall of the north nave


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017