Priory Church of St Mary, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Place OS Grid Ref: SO2914
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Church (Anglican)
Benedictine Priory founded 1087 by Hamelin de Ballon, benefactor of the Benedictine abbey of St Vincent, Le Mans, of which house Abergavenny became a dependency. The church was rebuilt during the fourteenth century by John, Lord Hastings. Restored 1828 and again 1881-82 by Thomas Nicholson of Hereford. Restored again in 1896 by E.A. Johnson.

People associated with this site
   as architect: Edwin Arthur Johnson


Artworks at this site:
Crucifix
designer: Frank Roper
Priory Church of St Mary, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
  Virgin and Child with St Christopher and St Michael Virgin and Child with St Christopher and St Michael
artist: F. C. Eden
1922
Priory Church of St Mary, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  The Crucifixion The Crucifixion
Priory Church of St Mary, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
north aisle
  The Nativity and Scenes from the Early Life of Christ The Nativity and Scenes from the Early Life of Christ
designer: Frederick W. Cole
1957
Priory Church of St Mary, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
north transept
  Stations of the Cross Stations of the Cross
artist: Sisters of Turvey Abbey
publisher: McCrimmon Publishing Company Ltd
Priory Church of St Mary, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
nave
  New Testament Saints New Testament Saints
designer: John Winbolt
1916
Priory Church of St Mary, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
nave


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017