Christ Church, Welshpool, Powys

formerly in: Montgomeryshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SJ221074
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Church (Anglican)
Church built 1839-1844 on land given by the Powis family and paid for by public subscription. The church was closed in 1998 and is now in private ownership. It is in the process of restoration for future use a concert and exhibition venue.

History of the Church
Architectural Description

People associated with this site
   as architect: Thomas Penson


Artworks at this site:
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
artist (after): Giovanni Bellini
1931
Christ Church, Welshpool, Powys
south wall of the nave
  Transfiguration, Resurrection and Ascension Transfiguration, Resurrection and Ascension
designer: David Evans
probably about 1844
Christ Church, Welshpool, Powys
chancel apse
  The Ascension The Ascension
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
probably 1920s
Christ Church, Welshpool, Powys
south wall of the south aisle
  The Entombment The Entombment
firm/studio: A. O. Hemming
1892
Christ Church, Welshpool, Powys
north wall of the north aisle
  Angels with Mary Magdalene at the Empty Tomb Angels with Mary Magdalene at the Empty Tomb
firm/studio: A. O. Hemming
1892
Christ Church, Welshpool, Powys
north wall of the north aisle



Other sites at Welshpool, Montgomeryshire
Church of St Winefride

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017