St David's Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SM751254
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Cathedral (Anglican)
The present cathedral was begun in 1181 on an early monastic site traditionally associated with St David. The cathedral was enriched by Bishop Gower in the second quarter of the fourteenth century when the pulpitum was constructed, and the nave roof and ceiling were completed in the 1530s. However the relics of David and Justinian were removed in 1538 by Bishop Barlow, and in 1648 much of the building was destroyed by Parliamentarian soldiers. The west front was built in 1793 by John Nash and George Gilbert Scott restored much of the building from 1862-77. The eastern chapels, including the Lady Chapel, were restored from 1900-10.

Cathedral website

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Oldrid Scott
   as architect: George Gilbert Scott
   as architect: John Nash


Artworks at this site:
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
designer: John Oldrid Scott
about 1901
St David's Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
Lady Chapel exterior gable
  Rood Rood
designer: W. D. Caröe
artist: Frederick Brook Hitch
about 1931
St David's Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
east end of the nave
  Crossing the Red Sea Crossing the Red Sea
firm/studio: William Morris & Co (Westminster)
designer: Frederick W. Cole
1956
St David's Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
west end of the south aisle (baptistry)
  Symbols from Revelation Symbols from Revelation
firm/studio: William Morris & Co (Westminster)
designer: Frederick W. Cole
1956
St David's Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
west wall of the north aisle
  The Risen Christ with St David and St George The Risen Christ with St David and St George
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd
1923
St David's Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
west wall of the nave
  Three Archangels Three Archangels
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd
1924
St David's Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
west wall
  Praying Hands with the Holy Spirit Praying Hands with the Holy Spirit
St David's Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
Lady Chapel
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
1950s
St David's Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
Lady Chapel
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
St David's Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
Lady Chapel
  Bear One Another's Burdens Bear One Another's Burdens
St David's Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
Lady Chapel



Other sites at St Davids, Pembrokeshire
Chapel of Our Lady and St Non
St David's Cathedral Library
Tabernacl

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


St David's Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin



Other images of this site
_MG_8337.jpg



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017