Augustus Northmore Welby Pugin (1812-1852)

Architect and designer born in London. He worked with Charles Barry on the designs for the Houses of Parliament in London, and designed numerous influential churches and houses. Together with his publications on medieval architecture and design he was a principal motivating force behind the Victorian Gothic Revival. He worked closely with John Hardman who produced metalwork and stained glass to his design, John Crace (painting and soft furnishing), Herbert Minton (ceramic tiles) and George Myers ('Pugin's builder').
For details of his life and examples of his work see www.pugin.com.

Further reading

Pugin: A Gothic Passion (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1994).

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), pp. 81-2, 88-9, 99-100.

Stanley A. Shepherd, The Stained Glass of A W N Pugin (Reading: Spire Books, 2009).



Sites associated with this person
   as architect: Church of St David, Pantasaph , Flintshire


Your search found 2 results.
  Carved Reredos with Figures Carved Reredos with Figures
designer: Augustus Northmore Welby Pugin
about 1850
Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire
Lady Chapel
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
designer: Augustus Northmore Welby Pugin
artist: George Myers
about 1850
Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire
south wall of south aisle




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017