Nathaniel Hitch (1846-1938)

Sculptor. Nathaniel Hitch was the son of the sculptor George Hitch. After an apprenticeship with Farmer and Brindley, who made church furnishings, he became one of the leading sculptors of church furnishings. Nathaniel Hitch worked for architects including John Loughborough Pearson and W.D. Caröe, and his work may be found in the cathedrals of Truro, Bristol, Canterbury and St Davids.

Your search found 5 results.
  Christ in Majesty with Symbols of the Evangelists and Angels Christ in Majesty with Symbols of the Evangelists and Angels
artist: Nathaniel Hitch
designer: John Loughborough Pearson
1879
Church of St Mary, Pembroke, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the chancel
  Crucifixion with Mary and John Crucifixion with Mary and John
designer: W. D. Caröe
artist: Nathaniel Hitch
about 1913
Church of All Saints, Gresford, Wrexham
east wall of Lady Chapel
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
artist: Nathaniel Hitch
about 1920
Church of St Margaret, Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire
south aisle chapel
  Figures on the Rood Screen Figures on the Rood Screen
designer: W. D. Caröe
artist: Nathaniel Hitch
about 1926-1930
Church of St Milburga, Llanfilo, Powys
rood screen
  The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
artist: Nathaniel Hitch
1928
Church of St Mary, Brecon, Powys
east wall of the chancel




Browse list of people in the database


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017