Alfred Bell (1832-1895)Artist and designer. Born in Silton in the west country to a family of skilled carpenters and craftsmen, Alfred Bell was introduced to George Gilbert Scott by the Rector of Silton, and was offered a place in Scott's studio in 1844. He worked there with G.F. Bodley and G.E. Street before designing for Nathaniel Lavers, preferring to work in stained glass and the decorative arts, rather than as an architect. He formed a partnership with John Richard Clayton in 1856, and their firm, known as Clayton & Bell, was among the most successful firms producing stained glass in the nineteenth century. After establishing the partnership, Alfred Bell also designed for James Powell & Sons. He was a prolific watercolourist and exhibited at the Royal Academy.
Peter Larkworthy, Clayton and Bell, Stained Glass Artists and Decorators (London: The Ecclesiological Society, 1984).
Joyce Little, Stained Glass Marks and Monograms (London: National Association of Decorative and Fine Art Societies, 2002), p. 12.
| The Resurrection |
artist: Alfred Bell
firm/studio: N. W. Lavers
Church of St Cynwyl, Aberporth, Ceredigion
east wall of the chancel
Browse list of people in the database
This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information
Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019