Bristow Wadley & Co. Ltd. (est. 1909)

Cardiff-based paint and wallpaper merchants. The firm was established by Fred Bristow and Charles Wadley in 1909, with a staff of eight. According to a feature in the South Wales Echo, 17 February 1960, p. 4, by that date a staff of 80 worked at their Cardiff branch, and a further nine branches were spread across south Wales and at Hereford.

It is uncertain how extensive their stained glass studio was, although mid-twentieth century windows signed by them are found in several churches in south-east Wales. They were responsible for the reassembly of the windows from Llandaff Cathedral after the Second World War. After training at Swansea School of Art, Ivor Davies, who worked for Celtic Studios from the mid-1950s, seems to have designed work for Bristow Wadley in the early 1950s.

For archives see the National Register of Archives.


Search for further information about Bristow Wadley & Co. Ltd. on Google

Your search found 3 results.
Christ the Good Shepherd with St David and St Luke
firm/studio: Bristow Wadley & Co. Ltd.
designer: Charles Powell
about 1935
Church of St Barnabas, Gilfach Goch, Rhondda Cynon Taff
east wall of the chancel
  Virgin and Child Between St Anne and St Elizabeth Virgin and Child Between St Anne and St Elizabeth
firm/studio: Bristow Wadley & Co. Ltd.
1940
Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent
Lady Chapel, south aisle
  The Baptism of Christ The Baptism of Christ
firm/studio: Bristow Wadley & Co. Ltd.
about 1962
Tredegarville Baptist Church, Cardiff
side wall


Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021