Edward Frampton (1845-1928)

Stained glass designer. Edward Reginald Frampton worked with Clayton and Bell in the late 1860s, and designed windows made by Heaton, Butler & Bayne. He was briefly in partnership with W.F. Dixon and Charles Hean in the mid-late 1870s. He had established his studio on Buckingham Palace Road, London by 1881. His work is especially plentiful in North Wales, and, given his huge west window at the Church of St John the Baptist in Chester, it appears that he probably worked in close association with the Chester architect John Douglas.

His son, also Edward Reginald Frampton, was also an artist, and designed a smaller number of windows.

The dates given for the artist in the Journal of the British Society of Master Glass-Painters obituary are at variance with other sources.

Further reading

Martin Crampin, Attributing Edward Frampton windows (2017).

Alfred L. Wilkinson, 'Edward Frampton, 1850–1929, Master Glass-Painter' Journal of the British Society of Master Glass-Painters, vol. xi, no. 2 (1952–3), 70–1.

'Obituary: Edward Frampton' Journal of the British Society of Master Glass-Painters, vol. iii, no. 1 (1929), 45.




Search for further information about Edward Frampton on Google

Your search found 11 results.
  Angels Playing Harps Angels Playing Harps
artist: Edward Frampton
1884
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
either side of east window of Whitley Chancel
  Sower and Reapers Sower and Reapers
artist: Edward Frampton
about 1886
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
north wall of the north aisle
  Christ and the Woman of Samaria Christ and the Woman of Samaria
artist: Edward Frampton
1890
Church of St Peter, Glasbury, Powys
west wall of the nave (south west corner)
  The Annunciation The Annunciation
artist: Edward Frampton
probably late nineteenth century or early twentieth century
Church of St Twrog, Maentwrog, Gwynedd
south wall of the sanctuary
  The Flight into Egypt The Flight into Egypt
artist: Edward Frampton
probably late nineteenth century or early twentieth century
Church of St Twrog, Maentwrog, Gwynedd
north wall of the sanctuary
  The Presentation in the Temple The Presentation in the Temple
artist: Edward Frampton
1891
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
west wall of the south aisle
  Christ with the Doctors in the Temple Christ with the Doctors in the Temple
artist: Edward Frampton
about 1891
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
west window of north aisle (children's chapel)
  St Bartholemew and Gregory the Illuminator St Bartholemew and Gregory the Illuminator
artist: Edward Frampton
1896
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
north wall by entrance to Gladstone Chapel
  The Good Shepherd The Good Shepherd
artist: Edward Frampton
1896
Church of St Twrog, Maentwrog, Gwynedd
west end of the north aisle
  Two Angels Two Angels
artist: Edward Frampton
about 1902
Church of St Maelog, Llanfaelog, Anglesey
north wall of the nave




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021