The Crucifixion with Saints
1910Three-light window with the crucified Christ in the central light, and Mary and John at either side of the cross. In the left-hand light are figures of Michael and Peter, and to the right are Aelhaiarn and David.
technique: stained glass
Church of St Aelhaiarn, Guilsfield, Powys
east wall of the south aisle chapel (Lady Chapel)
Probably by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake. The window was added at the time of G.E. Street's restoration of the church in 1879, but the stained glass was given in memory of Capt. Devereaux Herbert Mytton (1832-1910) by his widow.
The saints are not labelled, and D.R. Thomas claims that the upper right-hand figure is that of the patron, Aelhaiarn. However, the spear that he holds and the text 'Verily this was the Son of God', from Matthew 27:54, suggests Longinus, the centurion at the crucifixion, who pierces the side of Christ with his lance in Mark's gospel.
Click here for other artworks at this site
D. R. Thomas, The History of the Diocese of St Asaph (Oswestry: Caxton Press, 1908-1913), vol. iii, p. 148.
The Parish Church of St Aelhaiarn, Guilsfield (Gloucester: British Publishing, 1968), p. 19.
View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information
Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021