East Window

  East Window

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

about 1500

Five-light window, the upper half being filled with medieval fragments, assembled from at least two original windows, and by more than one workshop.

The tracery lights include incomplete figures of the four evangelists with symbols, although John's eagle is missing and the head of Matthew is a replacement. The upper parts of the main lights include numerous figures

technique: stained glass


Church of St Cyngar, Hope, Flintshire
east wall of the chancel aisle

The numerous figures in the main lights were part of a Te Deum window, the subject identifiable from the Latin inscriptions. The window was reconstructed some time in the latter half of the nineteenth or twentieth century, with fragments from the east window of the south aisle added to glass that probably originated in this window. The figures of the evangelists are no doubt in their original position. A piece of graffito records 'John Bird plumber and glazier new leaded these lights March 26 1766'.




 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

East WindowEast WindowEast WindowEast WindowEast WindowEast WindowEast WindowSt Matthew and St Mark: East WindowSt Matthew and St Mark: East WindowSt Matthew and St Mark: East WindowSt Luke and St John: East Window

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other artworks at this site

Further reading

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), pp. 39, 47.

Edward Hubbard, The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (Harmondsworth/Cardiff: Penguin/University of Wales Press, 1986), p. 376.

Mostyn Lewis, Stained Glass in North Wales up to 1850 (Altrincham: John Sherratt and Son Ltd, 1970), pp. 10-11, 49-52.

Painton Cowen, A Guide to Stained Glass in Britain (London: Michael Joseph, 1985), p. 220.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019