The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary, St John and Welsh Saints

1919

Five-light window. Together with Mary and John, the saints David and Deiniol were depicted, with local saints Cybi and Seiriol kneeling.

technique: stained glass

firm/studio: C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd

Church of St Seiriol, Holyhead, Anglesey
east wall of the chancel

East window given as a memorial to all from the parish who had fallen in the First World War. It was among the largest windows in Wales made by the studio, and cost £447. Following the demolition of the church in 1992, the glass was moved to Tonbridge School Chapel, Kent. A tablet recording the names of the fallen was made by Wippell & Co., costing £190, survives in Holyhead at the Church of St Cybi (with thanks to Martin Briscoe for additional information).




 

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd

References

Philip Collins, The Corpus of Kempe Stained Glass in the UK and Ireland (Kempe Trust, 2000), p. 321.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue

Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019