Choir of Angels

  Choir of Angels

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

1879

Four-light window with eight seated angels playing musical instruments. Further angels and heraldry in the tracery lights.

technique: stained glass
size: 50 cm (width of each light) [approx]
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe

Church of St Cadoc, Llangattock-Vibon-Avel, Monmouthshire
west wall of the nave

Beneath each of the seated angels are quotations from 'Jerusalem the Golden' by the twelfth-century French Benedictine monk Bernard of Cluny.

Given in memory of Elizabeth Mary Rolls, by her children, in 1879.





 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Choir of AngelsChoir of AngelsChoir of Angels

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd

References

John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire (London/Cardiff: 2000), pp. 307-8.

Philip Collins, The Corpus of Kempe Stained Glass in the UK and Ireland (Kempe Trust, 2000), p. 187.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019