St Ambrose and St Jerome

  St Ambrose and St Jerome

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

1892

Two-light window with standing figures and a scene of the three women at the empty tomb below. The left-hand figure holds a cross and an open book, while the right-hand figure is dressed in red as a cardinal with a lion.

technique: stained glass

firm/studio: C.E. Kempe

Church of St John, Barmouth, Gwynedd
north wall of the sanctuary

The window forms a pair with the adjacent window of the north chancel wall, depicting the four Latin fathers of the church. Ambrose is identified by the two opening words of the Ambrosian hymn, the 'Te Deum'.




 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

St Ambrose and St JeromeSt Ambrose and St Jerome

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd

Further reading

Philip Collins, The Corpus of Kempe Stained Glass in the UK and Ireland (Kempe Trust, 2000), p. 330.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019