Crucifixion

  Crucifixion

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

1965

Crucifixion with Mary and John.

medium: metal
size: 250 cm (height) [approx]
artist: Frank Roper

Church of St German, Roath, Cardiff
outside the west door of the church

The original Calvary was destroyed in the blitz of 1941. At the same time the adjacent Parish Hall was destroyed, and Sister Teresa, SSM killed. The original Calvary was in stone, dated from 1916, and, like its replacement, depicted the crucifixion with Mary and John. It had been erected through a legacy from Caleb Whitefield. The Roper 1965 Calvary is in memory of Sister Teresa.




 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Crucifixion

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Frank Roper


Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2018 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2018