The Risen Christ, Christ the Light of the World and Christ the Good Shepherd

  The Risen Christ, Christ the Light of the World and Christ the Good Shepherd

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

about 1900

Three-light window. The central light depicts Christ rising from the tomb with an angel and soldiers below, between conventional scenes of Christ as the Light of the World (after Holman Hunt) and Christ with shepherd's crook tending to his sheep.

technique: stained glass

firm/studio: Jones & Willis Ltd

Church of St John the Baptist, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil
(liturgical) north wall of the transept

The lower part of the window has been lost to vandalism (2011). The Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan states that the window was signed by the firm, and gives a date of about 1893, making it perhaps the earliest window by the firm identified in Wales. However, the window may be a little later, perhaps around 1900. The figures of Christ in the side lights mirror those dated 1897 in the chancel window at Llandegley, and the central figure is very close to a design at the same church of about 1911. A version of the design used for the left-hand figure was used again in The Light of the World window of about 1912, at Buckley, and no doubt many times elsewhere.

Given in memory of John Robert Jones.





 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

The Risen Christ, Christ the Light of the World and Christ the Good ShepherdChrist the Good Shepherd: The Risen Christ, Christ the Light of the World and Christ the Good Shepherd

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Jones & Willis Ltd

References

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), p. 20.

John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (London/Cardiff: 1995), p. 447.

Huw Williams, A History of the Church in the Parish of Dowlais (1977), p. 19.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019