Ascending Christ with Revd David Jones and St Canna
technique: stained glass
size: 45 cm (width of each light)
artist: William Glasby
Church of St Canna, Llangan, Vale of Glamorgan
east wall of the chancel
Signed and dated 'William Glasby 1932'.
The window was paid for by public subscription, with donations from individuals across Wales, England and overseas, ranging from £6 to 2 shillings. The subscription list survives at Glamorgan archives, and the donors included the bishop of Llandaff and David Lloyd George. Further funds came from the Calvinistic Methodist Association and the Freemasons, augmented by funds from a fruit tea and jumble sale. The total raised was over £142, or which £123 was paid to the artist.
The figure in the left-hand light is described as 'the late vicar' in The Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan, but is in fact the eighteenth century Methodist preacher, and rector of the parish, Revd David Jones (1736–1810), 'The Angel of Llangan'. The likeness is based on a nineteenth century print.
Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to William Glasby
Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), p. 217.
John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (London/Cardiff: 1995), p. 383.
View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information
Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021