The Sacred Heart

  The Sacred Heart

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

twentieth century
Figure of Christ with arms outstretched; chalice and emblems of the crucifixion at his feet.

medium: plaster
technique: painted
size: 130 cm (height) [approx]

Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent
east end of the north aisle

The pose of the figure is very similar to that of the Christ of the Transfiguration in M. & A. O'Connor's window (1854) in this church.

Between 1673-75 the Visitandine nun Margaret Mary Alacoque received a series of revelations of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, from the person of Christ Himself. Devotion was encouraged by the community, and in 1856 the Feast was instituted in the Catholic Church on the Friday after the octave of Corpus Christi. The devotion encouraged the formation of prayer groups and sodalities, focussing upon regular confession and reception of Holy Communion. The Abertillery statue follows the universal pattern, and is based ultimately on one of St Margaret Mary's visions.



 

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other artworks at this site


  The Sacred Heart

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021