Medieval Fragments

  Medieval Fragments

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

fourteenth century

Two-light window and upper quatrefoil containing medieval glass.

technique: stained glass
size: 44 cm (width of each light), 31 cm (diameter of roundels)

Church of St Mary, Treuddyn, Flintshire
south east wall of the chancel apse

The window contains glass from several periods, including small fragments from the early fourteenth century (mirroring the window on the north side of the apse), the latter part of the same century (bearing similarities to the glass from Winchester College Chapel), and from around 1500 or the beginning of the sixteenth century.

The female figure in the roundel in the left-hand light was presumably part of a depiction of Mary from the Annunciation, probably from the late fourteenth century. The shields in the lower roundels are unlikely to be later than the 1330s.





 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Medieval FragmentsMedieval FragmentsVirgin Mary: Medieval FragmentsMedieval FragmentsMedieval Fragments

Click here for other artworks at this site

Further reading

Mostyn Lewis, Stained Glass in North Wales up to 1850 (Altrincham: John Sherratt and Son Ltd, 1970), pp. 90-2.

Painton Cowen, A Guide to Stained Glass in Britain (London: Michael Joseph, 1985), p. 221.

References

Edward Hubbard, The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (Harmondsworth/Cardiff: Penguin/University of Wales Press, 1986), p. 453.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019