Christ the Good Shepherd with Scenes from the Life of Christ

  Christ the Good Shepherd with Scenes from the Life of Christ

© University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, photo Martin Crampin

larger image

about 1868

Three-light window. Central figure of Christ holding a lamb and shepherd's staff, two scenes with Christ and children, Christ disputing with the Doctors of the Law in the temple, and Christ in a boat calming the storm.

technique: stained glass

firm/studio: Lavers & Barraud

Christ Church, Prestatyn, Flintshire
east wall of south aisle chapel (Lady Chapel)

The glass was moved from the chancel to its present position when the south aisle was built in 1905.

There were originally several stained glass windows in the chancel. One of the original chancel windows was given by the parents of Samuel and George Gilderoy in memory of six young choristers who were drowned in 1868. Another window was given in memory of the choristers by public subscription. The tragedy is reflected in the imagery of the calming of the storm and the scenes with children. A window in the south wall of the original chancel depicted the Good Shepherd, and was given in memory of Elizabeth Hunt in December 1867 (information kindly provided by Sue Christou from the church archives and Natalia McKenzie).





 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Christ with Children and with the Doctors in the Temple: Christ the Good Shepherd with Scenes from the Life of ChristChrist the Good Shepherd: Christ the Good Shepherd with Scenes from the Life of ChristChrist with Children and Disciples and Calming the Storm: Christ the Good Shepherd with Scenes from the Life of Christ

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Lavers, Barraud & Westlake

Further reading

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), p. 143.

References

Malcolm Seaborne, Victorian and Later Stained Glass Windows in Flintshire Churches (Mold: 1996), p. 13.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


© University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, photo Martin Crampin


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019