Christ with St David and St Tydecho

  Christ with St David and St Tydecho

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

1864

Three-light window with standing figures. Christ is depicted as the Good Shepherd, holding a staff and a lamb, flanked by David, richly dressed as a bishop in the left-hand light, and Tydecho in the right-hand light with a plain staff and book.

technique: stained glass

firm/studio: Heaton, Butler & Bayne

Church of St Tydecho, Llanymawddwy, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel

A relatively early date for the depiction of Welsh saints, the choice no doubt influenced by the interests of the scholar and antiquarian Revd John Williams, who was rector at St Tydecho's in the mid-nineteenth century.




 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Christ with St David and St TydechoSt David: Christ with St David and St TydechoChrist the Good Shepherd: Christ with St David and St TydechoSt Tydecho: Christ with St David and St Tydecho

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Heaton, Butler & Bayne

References

Richard Haslam, Julian Orbach and Adam Voelcker, The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2009), p. 670.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019