The Benedicite

  The Benedicite

Photo © Martin Crampin

View of the sgraffito panels in the eastern half of the nave, with Christ in Majesty above.

larger image

1888

Series of sgraffito panels around the walls of the church with texts from the Benedicite. Beginning with a panel in the chancel, the scenes extend around the whole of the main body of the church. The three Hebrews, to whom the prayer is ascribed (Ananias, Azarias and Misael), are depicted on the west wall.

technique: sgraffito

artist: Heywood Sumner

Church of St Mary, Llanfair Cilgedin, Monmouthshire

The panels were commissioned in memory of Rosamond Emily Lindsay (died 1885) by her widower, Revd William J.C. Lindsay. The dedication is situated adjacent to the pulpit where Revd Lindsay preached as rector of the parish. The artist's initials and date is situated nearby in a roundel.




 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

The BenediciteThe BenediciteDedication to Rosamund Emily Lindsay: The BenediciteO ye Children of Men Bless ye the LordO ye Servants of the Lord Bless ye the LordO ye Beasts and Cattle Bless ye the LordO all ye Fowls of the Air Bless ye the LordWalrus and Dolphins: O ye Whales & all that move in the Waters Bless ye the LordAnanias and AzariasMisael and One Like a Son of the GodsAll ye green things upon the earth Bless ye the LordO ye Mountains & Hills Bless ye the LordO ye Winter & Summer Bless the LordO ye Winds of God Bless ye the LordO ye Heavens Bless ye the LordO ye Angels of the Lord Bless ye the Lord

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Heywood Sumner

Further reading

John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire (London/Cardiff: 2000), p. 284.

John Morgan-Guy, 'Fiery angels and country parsons' in Icon News, vol. 20 (2009), 19-21.




Photo © Martin Crampin


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019