St George and St Denys

  St George and St Denys

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

1904

Standing figures with St George fighting the dragon below, and Henry V (Harry of Monmouth) standing by the Monnow Bridge.

technique: stained glass

firm/studio: C.E. Kempe

Church of St Mary the Virgin, Monmouth, Monmouthshire
north wall of the north aisle

Dedication: 'For those who fell in war, For those who returned in peace, Thanks be to God. mdcccxcix - mcmii.' Commemorates those who died in the Boer War.

St Denys of France was adopted by Henry V, who had associations with Monmouth, as his second patron.



 

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd

Further reading

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), p. 162.

References

John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire (London/Cardiff: 2000), p. 397.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019