Virgin and Child

  Virgin and Child

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

about 1901

Virgin and Child under a canopy.

medium: stone
technique: carved

designer: John Oldrid Scott

St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
Lady Chapel exterior gable

The Lady Chapel dates from the thirteenth-fourteenth century, but remodelled early sixteenth century by Bishop Vaughan. It was ruinous after 1775 when the vault collapsed, until reconstructed by Oldrid Scott in 1901, when the statue was added by the architect..




 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Virgin and ChildVirgin and ChildVirgin and Child

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to John Oldrid Scott

Further reading

Wyn Evans and Roger Worsley, Eglwys Gadeiriol Tyddewi/St Davids Cathedral 1181-1981 (St Davids: Yr Oriel Fach Press, 1981), p.132; Plate 149.

References

Thomas Lloyd, Julian Orbach and Robert Scourfield, The Buildings of Wales: Pembrokeshire (New Haven/London: Yale University Press, 2004), p. 406.




Photo © Martin Crampin


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019