Christ Carrying the Cross

  Christ Carrying the Cross

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

1864
Single-light window.

technique: stained glass

firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
designer: probably John Richard Clayton

Church of St Mary, Dolgellau, Gwynedd
north wall of the nave

Attributed to J.R. Clayton by William Waters and dated 1864.

A memorial to William White of Glasynfryn, Bangor (died 1858); H. Weir White was Rector of Dolgellau 1831-66, when the church was restored.


The figure is based on John 19:17, which also inspired Station II of the Stations of the Cross.



 

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Clayton & Bell
Click here for other works connected to John Richard Clayton

Further reading

William Waters, Angels & Icons: Pre-Raphaelite Stained Glass 1850–1870 (Abbots Morton: Serapim Press, 2012), pp. 113–5, 363.

References

Richard Haslam, Julian Orbach and Adam Voelcker, The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2009), p. 586.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


  Christ Carrying the Cross

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021