Rose Window

  Rose Window

Photo © Jane Rosemary Carpenter

Photograph of the window in situ in All Saints, Pontardawe.

larger image

about 1895
Rose window consisting of seventeen panels with a blue winged angel in centre holding scroll 'HOLY HOLY HOLY'. Outer panels show Instruments of the Passion, while other panels have the symbols of the four evangelists: winged man (Matthew), winged Lion (Mark), winged bull (Luke) and eagle (John). Also has letters INRI and AN. There is foliage in all of the panels.

technique: stained glass
size: 240 cm (diameter) [approx]
firm/studio: probably Robert J. Newbery

Pontardawe Heritage and Visitor Centre, Pontardawe, Neath Port Talbot
previously at: Church of All Saints, Pontardawe, Neath Port Talbot

The window was commissioned by steel owner Arthur Gilbertson for the Church of All Saints in 1895, and was situated in the west gable. It was removed in around 1995 when the church was sold, and held in storage for many years. The centre panel went on display at Pontardawe Heritage and Visitor Centre while the rest of the window was dismantled and underwent restoration by Jane Carpenter (2018–21). The complete window is now on display at the centre.

Information about the preparation for redisplay and online videos can be seen on the Pontardawe Heritage Centre Facebook page.

The east window of All Saints was attributed to Robert Newbery, and, if the attribution is correct, would represent one of his earliest windows in Wales. This former west window is also similar to Newbery's style.





 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

Rose WindowRose WindowAngel: Rose WindowWinged Ox: Rose Window

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Robert J. Newbery


View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


  Rose Window

Photo © Jane Rosemary Carpenter


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021