St Luke, St Matthew and St Mark

  St Luke, St Matthew and St Mark

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

1840
Three-light window with standing figures under canopies.

technique: stained glass

artist: David Evans

Bangor Cathedral, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the south aisle

Part of the former east window, installed in 1840 at a cost of £200. The glass was removed in 1872 and reset in this position in about 1880. Symbols of the tribes of Israel in the tracery lights. The evangelists can be identified from the descriptions given in the North Wales Chronicle, 30 June 1840.




 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

St Luke, St Matthew and St Mark

Other works associated with this work

  Aaron, Moses and David   St Peter, St John and St Paul

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to David Evans

Further reading

Mostyn Lewis, Stained Glass in North Wales up to 1850 (Altrincham: John Sherratt and Son Ltd, 1970), p. 27.

References

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), p. 74.

Richard Haslam, Julian Orbach and Adam Voelcker, The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2009), p. 242.




View this object on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


  St Luke, St Matthew and St Mark

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales


Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021