Church of St Nicholas, Grosmont, Monmouthshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Place OS Grid Ref: SO4024
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Church (Anglican)
Outstanding church of C13 date, carefully and sympathetically restored 1869-79 by J P Seddon, who reconstructed the chancel and south chancel chapel and saved the tower and spire from collapse. Transepts partly rebuilt 1878 by James, Seward & Thomas of Cardiff. Much of the restoration was funded by J E W Rolls of The Hendre.

Artworks at this site:
  Nativity, Crucifixion and Ascension Nativity, Crucifixion and Ascension
artist: Cyril Spackman
1929
Church of St Nicholas, Grosmont, Monmouthshire
sanctuary
  The Feeding of the Multitude The Feeding of the Multitude
firm/studio: Heaton, Butler & Bayne
1879
Church of St Nicholas, Grosmont, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  Angel Banners Angel Banners
Church of St Nicholas, Grosmont, Monmouthshire
chancel


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017