Church of St Gwrthwl, Llanwrthwl, Powys

formerly in: Brecknockshire


Diocese of Swansea and Brecon

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SN97576373

Church of St Gwrthwl, Llanwrthwl, Powys Llanwrthwl_DSC2831A.jpg Photo © Martin Crampin

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image


Church (Anglican)

The medieval church on the site was replaced by a Victorian building in 1875 by J. G. Finch Noyes. The large stone by the porch suggests the possibility that the church stands on a prehistoric site. A Romanesque font survives from the earlier building.

CPAT Historic Churches Survey

view on the National Monuments Record (COFLEIN)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Search for further information about Church of St Gwrthwl, Llanwrthwl, Powys on Google


Artworks at this site:
  An Angel Greets the Three Women at the Empty Tomb with St Luke and St John An Angel Greets the Three Women at the Empty Tomb with St Luke and St John
1874
Church of St Gwrthwl, Llanwrthwl, Powys
east wall of the chancel
  Mother and Child with St Peter Mother and Child with St Peter
firm/studio: Wm. Pearce & E. Cutler
about 1921
Church of St Gwrthwl, Llanwrthwl, Powys
north wall of the nave
  St Paul St Paul
artist: Leonard Walker
1936
Church of St Gwrthwl, Llanwrthwl, Powys
west wall of the nave


Church of St Gwrthwl, Llanwrthwl, Powys height=

Photo © Martin Crampin



Other images of this site
Llanwrthwl_DSC2832A.jpg



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019