Church of St Matthew, Newport

formerly in: Monmouthshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: ST319886
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Church (Anglican)
Church built by local architects Graham & Hitchcox in 1891-2. Painted work in the east apse by A.R. Henderson and good stained glass. The nave has been partitioned with the west end used as a hall.

Artworks at this site:
  Scenes from the Passion of Christ Scenes from the Passion of Christ
artist: Allan R. Henderson
1929
Church of St Matthew, Newport
east wall of the sanctuary
  The Four Evangelists with Saints and Angels The Four Evangelists with Saints and Angels
firm/studio: Samuel Evans & Co.
about 1919
Church of St Matthew, Newport
east wall of the sanctuary
  King David King David
firm/studio: Samuel Evans & Co.
about 1919
Church of St Matthew, Newport
north wall of the nave (now converted to a hall)
  King Solomon King Solomon
firm/studio: Samuel Evans & Co.
1931
Church of St Matthew, Newport
north wall of the nave (now converted to a hall)



Other sites at Newport, Monmouthshire
Church of St John the Baptist
Church of St Patrick
Church of St Paul
Llanthewy Road Baptist Church
St Woolos' Cathedral
Synagogue
Victoria Road United Reformed Church

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017