Church of St Mary, Trefriw, Conwy

formerly in: Caernarfonshire


Diocese of Bangor

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SH78086322

Church of St Mary, Trefriw, Conwy Trefriw_DSC3598A.jpg Photo © Martin Crampin

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image


Church (Anglican)

Double-naved church dating from the fifteenth and sixteenth century, but said to have been founded by Llywelyn Fawr and his wife Joan in 1230. St Mary's church was restored in about 1850, and although the roofs are medieval, the exterior all dates from the nineteenth century.

view on the National Monuments Record (COFLEIN)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Search for further information about Church of St Mary, Trefriw, Conwy on Google


Artworks at this site:
 Charity Thinketh No Evil Charity Thinketh No Evil
firm/studio: A. R. Mowbray
about 1932
Church of St Mary, Trefriw, Conwy
east wall of the south nave
  The Resurrection The Resurrection
firm/studio: Lavers, Barraud & Westlake
about 1889
Church of St Mary, Trefriw, Conwy
east wall of the north nave
  St John and the Virgin and Child St John and the Virgin and Child
firm/studio: Lavers, Barraud & Westlake
about 1880
Church of St Mary, Trefriw, Conwy
south wall


Church of St Mary, Trefriw, Conwy height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019