Cardiff Castle, Cardiff
formerly in: Glamorgan
N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.
Site OS Grid Ref: ST179765
The Norman castle on the site of a Roman fort was enlarged and rebuilt for John Crichton-Stuart, the second marquess of Bute in the early nineteenth century. In 1868 the third marquess commissioned William Burges to rebuild the castle again, into what became a remarkable vision of Victorian Gothic fantasy.
as architect: William Burges
as patron: John Patrick Crichton-Stuart
View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information
Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021