St Mary and Christ Church, Llanfairfechan, Conwy

formerly in: Caernarfonshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SH681746

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Built 1864 at the expense of John Platt, a wealthy Oldham manufacturer, who owned Bryn y Neuadd, Llanfairfechan. The rector was the notable north Walian Tractarian Philip Constable Ellis and the design and fittings of the church reflect that tradition. Architects: C & J Shaw of Saddleworth, Oldham. Consecrated 1864. North aisle added 1874 in memory of the founder. New chancel built 1892. Spire restored 1969. Dedication changed from Christ Church to St Mary & Christ Church in 1999, following the closure of the former parish church.

Artworks at this site:
  Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane    from    Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane and Carrying the Cross Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane
from Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane and Carrying the Cross

designer: Edmund Benjamin Ferrey
artist: James Forsyth
1892
St Mary and Christ Church, Llanfairfechan, Conwy
east wall of the sanctuary
  Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers
St Mary and Christ Church, Llanfairfechan, Conwy
  The Sower The Sower
about 1936
St Mary and Christ Church, Llanfairfechan, Conwy
  Peter's Commission Peter's Commission
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1900
St Mary and Christ Church, Llanfairfechan, Conwy
south wall of the sanctuary
  The Four Evangelists The Four Evangelists
designer: Edmund Benjamin Ferrey
artist: James Forsyth
1892
St Mary and Christ Church, Llanfairfechan, Conwy
east wall of the sanctuary
  Christ in Majesty with Saints and Angels Christ in Majesty with Saints and Angels
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
1892
St Mary and Christ Church, Llanfairfechan, Conwy
east wall of the chancel
  The Three Marys Visit the Empty Tomb The Three Marys Visit the Empty Tomb
artist: Christopher Charles Powell
about 1926
St Mary and Christ Church, Llanfairfechan, Conwy
north wall of the sanctuary
  The Annunciation The Annunciation
about 1936
St Mary and Christ Church, Llanfairfechan, Conwy
  The Presentation in the Temple The Presentation in the Temple
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1902
St Mary and Christ Church, Llanfairfechan, Conwy
west wall of the baptistry
  St Anna Teaching the Virgin Mary to Read and St Elizabeth Teaching John the Baptist to Read St Anna Teaching the Virgin Mary to Read and St Elizabeth Teaching John the Baptist to Read
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1905
St Mary and Christ Church, Llanfairfechan, Conwy
north wall of the baptistry


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


St Mary and Christ Church, Llanfairfechan, Conwy height=

Photo © Martin Crampin



Other images of this site
LlanfairfechanDSCN8890A.jpg



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017