Church of St Catherine, Baglan, Neath Port Talbot

formerly in: Glamorgan


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SS752922

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

Church (Anglican)
1875-82 by John Prichard at the expense of his cousin Griffith Llewellyn of Baglan Hall and arguably Prichard's masterpiece. Cruciform, with steeple. Decorated style. Polychromatic interior - no expense spared. Work by H. H. Armstead (reredos) Burne-Jones and Morris (windows). Replaced medieval church, ruins of which remain in the churchyard to the east.

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Prichard


Artworks at this site:
  The Resurrection The Resurrection
artist: Henry Hugh Armstead
about 1880
Church of St Catherine, Baglan, Neath Port Talbot
sanctuary
  Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
firm/studio: Morris & Co.
designer: Edward Coley Burne-Jones
1880
Church of St Catherine, Baglan, Neath Port Talbot
east wall of the chancel
  The Ascension The Ascension
about 1880
Church of St Catherine, Baglan, Neath Port Talbot
nave
  The Four Evangelists The Four Evangelists
firm/studio: Wormleighton
about 1880
Church of St Catherine, Baglan, Neath Port Talbot
chancel


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Catherine, Baglan, Neath Port Talbot height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017