John Nash (1752-1835)

Regency Architect. After an apprenticeship in London John Nash settled Carmarthen in 1785 where he developed an architectural practice, building and adapting public buildings, bridges, churches and private reidencies. Nash found patronage among the Welsh gentry, designing residences such as Castle House Aberystwyth for Uvedale Price (1790s), and at Hafod for Thomas Johnes. After a series of disputes with his clients Nash moved back to London, where he became one of the most succesful architects of the time and architect to Prince Regent.

Further reading

Richard Suggett, John Nash: Architect in Wales (Aberystwyth: 1995).



Sites associated with this person
   as architect: St David's Cathedral, St Davids , Pembrokeshire
   as architect: Church of St Non, Llanerchaeron , Ceredigion



There are no artworks in the database associated with this person.

Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017