John Prichard (1818-1886)

Architect who worked with J.P. Seddon on the restoration of Llandaff Cathedral. Prichard shared the Gothic ideal as espoused by A.W.N. Pugin, with whom he became acquainted through training under Thomas Walker. He was responsible for many churches as the diocesan architect for Llandaff, sometimes in partnership with Seddon until the latter worked independently in London from the 1860s. He is buried at Llandaff.

Further reading

John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (London/Cardiff: 1995), p. 91-4.



Sites associated with this person
   as architect: Church of St Clement, Briton Ferry , Neath Port Talbot
   as architect: Church of St John the Baptist, Cardiff , Cardiff
   as architect: Church of St Madoc, Llanmadoc , Swansea
   as architect: Church of St Peter, Dixton , Monmouthshire
   as architect: Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee , Newport
   as architect: Church of St Nicholas and St John, Monkton Priory , Pembrokeshire
   as architect: Church of St Margaret, Roath , Cardiff
   as architect: Church of St Cadoc, Cheriton , Swansea
   as architect: Church of St Teilo, Merthyr Mawr , Bridgend
   as architect: Llandaff Cathedral, Llandaff , Cardiff
   as architect: Christ College Chapel, Brecon , Powys
   as architect: Church of St Margaret, Mountain Ash , Rhondda Cynon Taff
   as architect: Church of St Catherine, Baglan , Neath Port Talbot
   as architect: Church of St Cadfan, Tywyn , Gwynedd
   as architect: Church of St Thomas, Monmouth , Monmouthshire
   as architect: Church of St Tewdric, Mathern , Monmouthshire
   as architect: Church of St Cadfarch, Penegoes , Powys
   as architect: Church of St Mary, Undy , Monmouthshire
   as architect: Church of Illtyd, Gwynno and Dyfodwg, Llantrisant , Rhondda Cynon Taff
   as architect: Church of St Margaret, Pendine , Carmarthenshire
   as architect: Church of St Mary, Aberafan , Neath Port Talbot
   as architect: Church of St John the Baptist, Troedyrhiw , Merthyr Tydfil
   as architect: Church of St Arvan, St Arvans , Monmouthshire


Your search found 4 results.
  Bishop's Throne Bishop's Throne
designer: John Pollard Seddon
designer: John Prichard
about 1850-1860
Llandaff Cathedral, Llandaff, Cardiff
choir
  Moses Giving the Ten Commandments and the Judgement of Solomon Moses Giving the Ten Commandments and the Judgement of Solomon
designer: John Prichard
artist: Henry Hugh Armstead
about 1866
Llandaff Cathedral, Llandaff, Cardiff
north wall of the nave
  The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
patron: John Prichard
firm/studio: Morris & Co.
designer: Edward Coley Burne-Jones
1873
Church of Illtyd, Gwynno and Dyfodwg, Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff
east wall of the chancel
  Melchizedek with Aaron, Abraham, Isaiah and Peter Melchizedek with Aaron, Abraham, Isaiah and Peter
designer: John Prichard
artist: William Goscombe John
1891
Church of St John the Baptist, Cardiff
sanctuary




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017