John Middleton (1820-1885)

Architect. Born in York, John Middleton's early work in the north east of England, working on buildings for the Stockton and Darlington Railway, was followed by a move to Cheltenham in 1859. As well as the design of Anglican churches, his firm was also responsible for the design of the Canterbury Building at the University in Lampeter. His son, John Henry Middleton, was a distinguished archaeologist and art historian. The firm, briefly in the hands of his son, continued as Prothero & Phillott.

Sites associated with this person
   as architect: Church of St Mary, Newport , Pembrokeshire
   as architect: Church of St Cynllo, Llangynllo , Ceredigion



There are no artworks in the database associated with this person.

Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017