R. J. Withers (1824–94)

Ecclesiastical architect. Robert Jewell Withers was born in Somerset and initially articled to the architect Thomas Hellyer on the Isle of Wight in 1839. He established his own practice at Sherborne in 1846 before moving to London in 1850, working initially with his brother, Frederick Clark Withers. He joined the Cambridge Camden Society in 1844 and remained true to the principles of the Ecclesiologists. Withers was responsible for numerous churches in west Wales.

For more information and a list of his churches see the Biographical Dictionary of the Architects of Greater Manchester.

Sites associated with this person
   as architect: Church of St Peter, Lampeter , Ceredigion
   as architect: Church of St Llwchaiarn, Llanllwchaiarn , Powys
   as architect: Church of St Sulien, Silian , Ceredigion
   as architect: Church of St John, Penrhyn-coch
   as architect: Church of St David, Llanddewi-Brefi , Ceredigion
   as architect: Church of St Dogmael, Meline , Pembrokeshire
   as architect: Church of St Brynach, Nevern , Pembrokeshire
   as architect: Church of St Cynwyl, Aberporth , Ceredigion
   as architect: Church of St David, Henfynyw , Ceredigion
   as architect: Church of St David, Blaenporth , Ceredigion



There are no artworks in the database associated with this person.

Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021