Lawrence Lee (1909-2011)

Artist working in stained glass. Lawrence Stanley Lee trained initially at Kingston School of Art and then at the Royal College of Art, where he studied under Martin Travers. After this he joined Travers as an assistant in his studio, and also taught at the Royal College of Art. After the war Lawrence Lee inherited Travers' commissions when he died unexpectedly in 1948. He was appointed Head of the Stained Glass Department at the Royal College of Art, and when Basil Spence decided to commission past and present students from the department for the nave windows of Coventry Cathedral, Lawrence Lee oversaw the commissioning and designed three of the windows himself. He undertook commissions for many parish churches in the UK and abroad from the 1960s up to the 1980s.

Flickr Group

Your search found 2 results.
The Good Samaritan
artist: Lawrence Lee
1953
Church of St John the Evangelist, Gowerton, Swansea
south wall of the nave
  East Window East Window
artist: Lawrence Lee
1960
Church of St David, Betws, Carmarthenshire
east wall of the chancel




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017