Stephen W. Williams (1837-1899)Architect and antiquarian. Based in Rhayader, he was County Surveyor of Radnorshire and also worked as a railway surveyor. He was responsible for many municipal buildings in mid Wales, as well as restoring and building new churches. An active member of the Cambrian Archaeological Association and Powysland Club, he directed the excavations of the Cistercian abbeys of Strata Florida (1887-8) and Strata Marcella (1890).
Powys Digital History Project
Richard Haslam, The Buildings of Wales: Powys (Harmondsworth/Cardiff: 1979), pp. 62-3.
as architect: Church of St Michael, Cathedine , Powys
as architect: Church of St Michael, Llanfihangel Rhydithon , Powys
as architect: Church of St Llyr, Llanyre , Powys
There are no artworks in the database associated with this person.
Browse list of people in the database
View this record on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information
Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017