George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907)

Victorian Gothic Revival Architect. Initially trained with George Gilbert Scott, with whom he had a family connection, before establishing his own practice. He worked with William Morris and his circle, having met Morris in G. E. Street's office in around 1856. His partnership with Thomas Garner began in 1869, working on churches as well as domestic architecture. As well as his churches in Cardiff, Bodley also designed interiors for Powis Castle in Montgomeryshire from 1900-02.

Further reading

Michael Hall, The Holiness of Beauty: G.F. Bodley (1827-1907) and his circle (London: V&A+RIBA Trust, 2008).



Your search found 4 results.
   Worthy is the Lamb that was slain     detail from    Roof Decoration Worthy is the Lamb that was slain
detail from Roof Decoration

designer: George Frederick Bodley
about 1888
Church of St Saviour, Splott, Cardiff
nave roof
  View of the stenciling    from    Organ View of the stenciling
from Organ

designer: George Frederick Bodley
about 1890
Church of St Saviour, Splott, Cardiff
chancel
  Three Archangels Three Archangels
designer: George Frederick Bodley
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1898
Church of St Saviour, Splott, Cardiff
south wall of the chancel
  Christ in Majesty with Saints and Scenes from the Death and Resurrection of Christ Christ in Majesty with Saints and Scenes from the Death and Resurrection of Christ
designer: George Frederick Bodley
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1898
Church of St Saviour, Splott, Cardiff
east window of the chancel




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017