Crucifixion with the Four Evangelists

1878

Depicting the crucifixion surrounded with a wreath of passion flowers. Statues of the four evangelists, in niches supported by columns, stand on either side of the central panel.

medium: Caen stone
technique: carved

artist: Thomas Earp

Church of St Collen, Llangollen, Denbighshire
sanctuary

Dedicated on Whit Sunday 9th June 1878; a gift from Mr Bamford Hesketh of Gwrych Castle, Abergele.




 

This artwork is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other artworks at this site
Click here for other works connected to Thomas Earp

Further reading

Garson Ffoulkes-Jones, Saint Collen's Parish Church Llangollen, North Wales (Llangollen: 1980), p. 8.

References

Edward Hubbard, The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (Harmondsworth/Cardiff: Penguin/University of Wales Press, 1986), p. 220.



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019